From: mobopts-bounces@irtf.org [mailto:mobopts-bounces@irtf.org] On
Behalf Of ext Rajeev Koodli
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:52 AM
To: Ji Zhang
Cc: Soohong Daniel Park; mobopts@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [Mobopts] New topics for the RG

Hi,

I have seen interest in this topic. However, I think the topic is
more than just end-to-end event notification (Disclaimer: I have not
read the latest version). It could affect traffic on the Internet.
So, before we could go ahead with the solution(s), we need to
carefully look into the broader problem, including "cross-layer
design" implications, congestion-control etc. Would you be
interested in looking into those first?

Regards,

-Rajeev

ps: A while ago, MIP group looked into the problem of end-to-end
     QoS problem definition and requirements. I feel the problems are
     similar.

Ji Zhang wrote:

	Hi Rajeev,

	Thanks a lot for your summary.

	We would like to recommend the following topic to be considered
for the
	charter:

	Deliver link layer characteristic information (e.g.
bandwidth...) to a
	mobile node's communication peers using mobility control
messages  (i.e.
	binding updates or registration requests), so that the
communication peers
	of the mobile node can control their traffic flows accordingly.
The idea is
	based on the draft

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daniel-mip-link-characteristic
-02.txt.
	With this approach, the potential problems (i.e. capacity
overspending or
	underutilization) on access link capacity changes (especially on
vertical
	handovers) can be solved. The proposal is suitable for both
MIPv4 and MIPv6,
	regardless of the type of the transport protocol used.
Simulations will be
	done in the near future to test its performance.

	Any comments and questions are welcome.

	Regards,
	Ji

		Now, it is time to re-consider our charter items. What
sorts of topics
		are folks interested in working on?  I would like to
broaden our scope to
		consider Mobility on the Internet in general. Some
possible topics for
		discussion below in no preference order. Please comment,
suggest your
		topics and provide a brief justification.

		- multicast and mobility. A specific problem is what
address should the MN
		  use as its source IP address so that its packets are
not discarded due
		to a) RPF checks,
		  and b) source-specific multicast. To pass a), you need
the MN to use
		CoA, but to
		  pass b), you need HoA. How to convice multiple
receivers about CoA and
		HoA binding?
		  Is RR even an option? :-)

		- mobility (and traffic) patterns in a WLAN (e.g., a
campus network).
		This should provide
		  a better sense of traffic for admission control as
well as
		network-controlled handovers.

		- what is the scope of IP paging in a converged WLAN -
WWAN environment?
		  Is it a real problem? Worthwhile documenting in any
case?

		- architectural barriers to optimizing inter-domain
handovers. Although
		we have
		   some understanding of improving delay and packet loss
during
		handovers across
		   IP networks, how applicable are they across different
autonomous
		systems? Would
		   the policy barriers allow optimizations? Is this an
example of
		"tussle in cyberspace"?

		- privacy topics related to mobility

		- Others