[802.21] Network Controlled Handover and IS

Hi Vivek and all,

Some comments on your first and second points:

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Gupta, Vivek G [mailto:vivek.g.gupta@INTEL.COM] Envoyé : jeudi 25 août 2005 12:13 À : STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org Objet : Re: [802.21] Network Controlled Handover and IS

I don't have any doubt that 802.21 needs to support network initiated handovers. Many networks such as 3GPP and even WiMax are more operator controlled type networks and we need to accept that and support that in the 802.21 standard. Of course terminal initiated handovers shall always be supported. So what are the additional requirements?

1] Measurements type dynamic info:
As mentioned earlier different access technologies already provide these in some form (especially those that already support intra-mobility, since the same measurements are required in those cases as well).

[[MP]] This is not sufficient if we want to achieve a control of radio ressources in an MME in the network (not located on the access network). The MME should be able to gather measurements, so L3 must be used, not only L2. However, we can use the facilities provided by some L2 to "extract" needed information for the MIH:

For example, 11k defines new primitives to get measurement reports (among other info) from either a STA or an AP. I guess this measurement can be done remotely and locally as well. This process takes place at the Link Layer. Fortunately, indications such "MLME-MREPORT.indication" are available to upper layers (such as MIH). This indication contains measurement reports and could be used by the MIH to do a Measurement Report (via an Event maybe) to an MME in the network via L3.

2] Application requirements and User/Terminal policy information:
Not sure if all of this needs to be handled by 802.21 and even then if and can this be standardized. One way to do this would be to have some commands/events for exchange of vendor specific/app specific type messages and leave it at that. We may need clear requirements for something more specific.

[[MP]] Yes a vendor specific message is definitely a good idea. This should allow operators some degree of freedom in their handover policies.

-Vivek