RE: [802.21] Network Controlled Handover and IS

Junghoon,

From: ext Junghoon Jee [mailto:jhjee@ETRI.RE.KR]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 9:25 PM
To: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [802.21] Network Controlled Handover and IS

> It seems both STA controlled and network-controlled scenarios
> may have to considered in 802.21.  It may seem unfair to the
> network operator who owns the radio resources in one or more
> technology for allowing its subscribers' STA to make decision
> that may cause misuse of  radio resources.

Basically, STA can make a decision to handover only where it has a
subscription to that network.
The resource that is allowed for a STA is managed by the network operator
without question.
For network-controlled inter-technology handover,
network (entity) may continuously gather or monitor the status of the STA
through MIH ES or CS
to make a handover decision for a certain STA, and another STA and ,,,
This is my point. I expect that anyone could solve or lessen my concerning
point.
I think that it may not be a problem that can be solved by reducing
signaling transaction from 10 to 5.

Srini>  In 802.21, once the MIH services are defined, we cannot mandate that network-controlled HO cannot be used or how much signaling must be used to make it work. We only define the MIH services to enable both scenarios. If and how they are used is upto the implemention on the STA or in the network or both.

One the other
> hand, a STA that has no subscription or roaming relation to
> the networks in question may make its own decision. It is not
> difficult to have both these mechanisms co-exist.

If a STA has no subscription or roaming relation to networks,
then it cannot access that network. Can you make more clarification on your
point ?

Srini> These could be like pay-per-use access networks. For e.g., the user can configure the STA to perform scans to find lower cost accesses and do automatic handover. STA-controlled HO may also be useful for subscription based scenarios as long as they are not conflicting with the subscription/roaming agreements. It is upto the operator to use proper configurations on the terminal.

Regards,
Junghoon

omemail=jhjee@etri.re.kr&messageid=%3Cb46e0bdb-3aab-482e-8237-1d7beb70f31a@e
tri.re.kr%> 3E>