From: NJEDJOU Eric RD-RESA-REN [mailto:eric.njedjou@francetelecom.com]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:27 AM
To: Gupta, Vivek G; Junghoon Jee; stefano.faccin@NOKIA.COM; STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802.21] Network Controlled Handover and IS

Vivek,
A couple points on bullet 4)

-----Message d'origine-----
De : stds-802-21@ieee.org [mailto:stds-802-21@ieee.org] De la part de Gupta, Vivek G
Envoyé : jeudi 25 août 2005 12:13
À : Junghoon Jee; stefano.faccin@NOKIA.COM; STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Objet : RE: [802.21] Network Controlled Handover and IS

<clip>.....

4] Resource query and query of network capabilities:
If a network entity decides to initiate handover, it may need to query access networks about available resources/QoS levels etc. as part of handover decision making. Some of this functionality is also included in current 802.21 draft and we can evolve this to comprehend other different cases.
(Please also note that resource query as an option was considered for a long time during proposal stage in 802.11-Tgr but was eventually rejected for intra-mobility cases, so it's not clear if we may need to do, that much more here beyond existing capabilities in different access networks that already support intra-mobility.)

<<[Eric Njedjou] an optimal handover, can not happen without considering availability of resources on target: GSM and UMTS handover are based on that important check. Therefore i for one believe that operators would not be able to implement TGR specifications as the current draft stand because they won't be able to verify resource availability in the handover process. When inter-system comes into play, the check will consist making sure the the target poA has the resource/QoS that satisfied the handed over sapplication>>

[Vivek G Gupta] Instead of doing a query, you can always try to allocate resources. If that succeeds, great you are done. If that fails you know resources are not available. I believe the idea of a query was rejected because available resources can change dynamically and query results may not be valid when you actually decide to allocate resources......even when resource allocation is followed immediately after query...(other requests could always have sneaked in between..)