RE: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover InformationServices (was: Re: CARD Discussion Query Discussion)

Subir,

Please find inline replies.

Regards,

Ajoy

           Along that line  more data on XML will be  better for understanding which query
             language is good for .21 IS .  All along we have said  that XML is a candidate query lanaguage given the  type of model
             and flexibility we need to support in .21 IS  framework.  It will be good if you share some of  your practical experience
             and related informtion on XML as well..

Ajoy-> I think the attached link does talk about performance issue associated with XML.

http://www.zapthink.com/report.html?id=ZAPFLASH-11162004

Personally I have not done any work in the XML performance analysis, but I have looked

at other compression technologies and have herd concerns raised about the

performance impact of compression mechanism such as SIP compression on mobile devices.

 Also is it not true that XML is already on the mobile devices?

Ajoy-> At least I am not aware of availability of XML at L2, L2.5  and L3 protocol layer processing. Typically

L2 and L2.5 processing is done by DSP and I am not aware of any XML component in that. However.

I am aware of the fact that WAP has used some variation of XML also known WML. But it has NOT been considered

very successful technology either. Also, note that available channel for handover signaling may not be as much as

available data path for WAP.

.

My  feeling is that we don't have enough data so that we can say that XML is bad.

Ajoy-> See above link. Although above link is not related to mobile devices, but definitely provides some interesting data about XML.

For example it states that size of XML encoded message can be 10 to 50 times bigger than binary encoded message.