Re: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover InformationServices

Title: Re: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover InformationServices

From: Subir Das <subir@research.telcordia.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:06:21 -0400
To: Hong-Yon Lach <hong-yon.lach@motorola.com>
Cc: <STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org>
Subject: Re: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover InformationServices

Hong-Yon,
Thanks for your input.  My answers below.

-Subir

Hong-Yon Lach wrote:
Re: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover InformationServices (was: Re: CARD Discussion Query Discussion) Slut Subir,

I am not sure I will be able to attend the call, but here are my thoughts at the moment, which I am sure can be better explained in emails than in conversation...
    Email should be fine.

              Ok.

            I agree with you that we need to define the information first and we will do it. However, I  don't think it is a good idea  to combine the transport of the information with  the mobility protocol. .21 IS
              must work  irrespective  of mobility protocol choice and in fact  information exchange should happen even before mobility protocol kicks in.

[hong-yon] I am not suggesting what is better, it all depends. I just feel that such flexibility and choice is necessary to allow people to determine the necessary mobility management scheme for their systems. This discussion could be senseless as it is still not clear what information we are talking about for IS. Here is my opinion: if the information in IS are concerned only with the need of exchanges to help the various entities (terminal, network) to determine the link status/condition, then I agree that the IS should be completely independent of mobility management, although its use should be optional depending on what the mobility management needs.  If the information in IS are concerned with higher/managerial-level information, such as operator, authentication, etc, then we should not exclude the possibility of integrated operation with other protocols such as mobility, security, etc. In this case, imposing such information exchange before mobility protocol kicks in is not a desirable scheme that design of mobility management would like to be restricted to.

              Agree.  Again, pl. let us know if you have any specific requirements in mind.

[hong-yon] I am thinking... But I am still struggling to understand what sort of IS information we are dealing with, as described above.

            Agree with you and that's why  we want the flexibility in information definition. We can definitely go to ICANN for a information type and that should be in the basic set. We should also leave some
             flexibility  to the operators so that they can define vendor specific IEs as well.

[hong-yon] I agree.

              I  don't think this is a good idea. The very reason we wanted to have .21 IS so that it can work with multiple  mobility protocols will be lost. Also do you think we should suggest adding this feature
                to  'n' mobility protocols? Hope not.

[hong-yon] As described above, it depends what sort of IS information we are dealing with. For higher/managerial-level information, I know that I may want to integrate certain information exchange in my mobility management scheme. This is an area in which the separation between mobility management and 802.21 is not black-&-white. Thus to FACILITATE mobility management, 802.21 IS should not restrict how a mobility management scheme could be established. I am suggesting that the information should be defined, but whether and how they are used should be left other protocols for flexibility. Or, if 802.21 is to specify the IS query/response messages/protocol, it shall only be optional.

             It may be difficult  to  define all of them now.. That's why the basic and extended sets idea seems to be better.

[hong-yon] I agree that it is hard to list the information types now. As described above, I think we should at least decide what sort of information we will address in IS: link-level information, higher/managerial-level information, etc, so we now whether 802.21 should specify the IS query/response protocol.

            Yes, this may be true and we have to take this into consideration while designing the protocol. This will also depend upon the criticality of the information,
I may have a very simple view, but I do not have more issues asking me for something more complicated.

[hong-yon] Again, this assumes that the IS query/response protocol is necessary, depending on the sort of IS information we are dealing with.

Cheers,
Hong-Yon