Re: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover InformationServices (was: Re: CARD Discussion Query Discussion)

> From: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
> Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:28:32 -0400
> To: Hong-Yon Lach <hong-yon.lach@MOTOROLA.COM>
> Cc: <STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org>
> Subject: Re: [802.21] [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover
> InformationServices (was: Re: CARD Discussion Query Discussion)
>
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 09:43:44PM +0200, Hong-Yon Lach wrote:
>>>
>> I did not say that such information is not needed; I said that for certain
>> HO and mobility management scheme IS may not be needed. That is, there are
>> other ways to get such information. One example is that such information
>> exchange can be (integral) part of the mobility management protocol with a
>> mobility manager overseeing the heterogeneous networks.
>
> I did not get your point.  Are you claiming that a mobility management
> protocol may not require 802.21 IS, but it can exchange information
> defined by 802.21 IS?

No exactly, it depends what IS defines as protocols, information, and
encoding scheme. I mean: certain HO/mobility management mechanisms may need
something that IS does not intend to offer with respect to efficiency
(payload and processing), and that IS may not facilitate with respect to
interaction with the query/response mechanism, etc. In particular, ideally
the information defined in IS could be reused; but its encoding will need to
fit the need of other protocols.