RE: [802.21] IEEE 802.11u requirement for IEEE 802.21

Yes this is an important requirement that needs to be addressed. There
are several comments already in place in current draft to this affect.

1] Currently Link Up indication includes info about IPAddressRenewal
(not sure if this info can be provided in all/most cases so this needs
to be made optional at best). It can also include info about new subnet
address for newly selected PoA (though one may argue about availability
of subnet address from link layer triggers).

2] LinkGoingDown indication includes MacAddress of next prospective PoA
as an optional parameter. If that information is available then using
RARP one can find IP address of prospective PoA and determine if there
will be a change in IP address.

3] Information service tries to provide subnet information for different
PoAs as part of Media Independent Neighbor maps. This could help in
figuring out PoA layout and determining a priori possible impact on
change in IP address due to specific PoA selection.

Not sure if these are adequate so other solutions welcome as well.
Best Regards,
-Vivek

This