Re: [802.21] IS Higher Layer Transport Requirements: update on conf call on December 8

Kalyan,

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 02:46:53PM +0100, Kalyan Koora wrote:
> Hi Yoshihiro,
>
> thank you for your reply. Yes, I mean that what you said. As far as I understood the
> .16, they defined default size of lenght filed to be 1 Byte where the MSB is 0 if
> the length of the payload is less than 127. If it is greater than that then the MSB is
> 1 and the 1st byte of the length field indicates, how many bytes are following the
> present length field.
>
> => Result: The size of length field is by default 1 Byte and only on need, it is
> extended further. Well if we think of using TLV format for all services (IS, CS, ES)
> then it is in most cases valid that the "Value" filed, i.e. payload of the IE is (statistically
> seen) less than 127 Byte.

This actually that the length of the Length field is variable as
ASN.1 encoding does.  I this this will make TLV implementation
complicated.  It is simpler to make it a constant length, say 2-octet.

Yoshihiro Ohba