RE: [802.21] Tomorrow's Telecon material

Qiaobing,
Inline ...

Regards,
Srini

Srini>Good point, not all IS queries need it. But for some instances
that need it, the transport must support it. I think the transport must
provide this capability and also ability to switch off the feature, if
there is no need.

>Moreover, IP in general is best effort network and every
>transport is at the mercey of the underneath IP layer. I don't
>know any existing mechanism that allows the sender to control
>the timeliness of delivering a packet over an IP path (the
>most a sender can do is to set the TOS bits and pray).

>The more common practice for a sender is to set a shorter
>timer if it knows that an out-going message is urgent so that
>it can engage failure handling sooner if the expected response
>does not come back from the far-end.
>
>By the way, the only time sensitive IP transport defined in
>IETF is RTP, while neither TCP or UDP is considered time sensitive.

Srini> I am not sure how this requirement will be supported. One way
would be use datagram services that don't need session setup.