RE: [802.21] Tomorrow's Telecon material

Hi Vivek,

>Well if you plan to use IS in such a case, you presumably already have
>L3 connection. I am not sure this necessarily translates to a time
sensitive type transport requirement (at L3) for IS.

Srini> The issue is simply that the IS queries can also be initiated
(over current link on L3) when the current link conditions are
degrading. How fast it is degrading depends on the link technology, the
user mobility and other factors. Quick transport of the queries are
highly desirable under those conditions.

>This seems to imply more of a time sensitive type requirement
>on events/commands type of messages as opposed to IS exchanges.

Srini> For such situations, ES/CS have to be time-sensitive to ensure
quick handover and so are also IS, since it provides critical input for
network selection. From an implementation perspective, not
implementations/algorthms need be proactive, it is possible that there
are no IS queries when the link conditions are good or intra-technology
coverage is available but this can change quite fast under certain
situations.

Regards,
Srini