RE: FW: [DNA] Review of draft-ietf-dna-link-information-03.txt

Colleagues,

This is a call for interest to participate in the link layer
identification issue within 802.21. Please send email if you have the
bandwidth and interest to participate. If you want to monitor, don't
worry the group's discussions and outputs will be available publicly.

Yoshi, thanks for reminding me one of the issues is about link-id and
that I am to drive a resolution. I agree that for the IEEE definition we
want something related to the two or more endpoints connected together.

<opinion>
I believe that an ID is just that, not an address. IP has overloaded the
two functions (esp with CGA), and so has the IEEE MAC, in my opinion.

If we want to create an ID that similarly overloads/combines the two
functions (address and identification) so that a link id could be used
to route/address to the link, or be used to identify the link for
descriptive, relational, organizational or authentication/authorization
type purposes, then we need to combine both address and identification
functions.

If we want to create just an ID that does not help in
routing/addressing, then I think a globally unique identifier with some
cryptographic property would be the ideal, and we could consider
compromises less than that.

I also agree that for multicast/broadcast or bridged or switched, a
slightly different form/derivation of ID or combined ID/address would be
appropriate.

I don't know how tightly connected we need to make our link id to the
DNA definition.
</opinion>

Best Regards,
Michael