Re: [802.21] Operator ID assignment in 802.16

Indirectly, 3GPP and 3GPP2 network operators already submit themselves to
the 'authority' of the IEEE-RAC.

IEEE-RAC is the authority that distributes and administers Organizationally
Unique Identifiers (OUIs) which are the basis for MAC Addresses that all
Ethernet (and many other devices) use. If you have a Wi-Fi card, it has an
IEEE-RAC assigned OUI as part of the MAC Address. How do 3GPP and 3GPP2
operators feel about MAC Addresses and Wi-Fi?

But IEEE-RAC is certainly a non-traditional source for Network Identifier
Codes as opposed to Device Identifier Codes, there can be little doubt of
that. Nevertheless, if we are willing to trust the IEEE-RAC to administer
OUIs, then confidence for administration of Operator IDs is not too much of
a stretch. And the IEEE-RAC is well equipped and has a long history of such
number space administration. Anyway, it was not like 802.16 was given a wide
selection of choices on this matter.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber
Chief Scientist