Re: [802.21] Comments on 21-06-0698-01-0000_IP_configuration_methods_IE.doc

Hi, Yoshi,

Yoshihiro Ohba wrote:
> First, it is not clear whether it is allowed to run DHCPv6 before
> running router discovery.
>
> Second, if it is allowed to run DHCPv6 before running router
> discovery, then it should be possible to run DHCPv6 and router
> discovery in parallel regardless of the use of proposed IE or even
> regardless of the use of 802.21.  The only benefit to use the proposed
> IE would be to avoid running DHCPv6 when DHCPv6 is not used at all for
> configuring IP address and other information, but I think DHCPv6 is
> used in most deployment at least for configuring other information.
> So the benefit of the IP_Configuration_Methods_IE is still not clear
> to me.

In general, you are talking about how an existing upper layer can
benefit from certain new 802.21 services (in this case the MIIS).

The benefit of an 802.21 service can only be realized when an upper
layer decides to use it. Since 802.21 is still a developing standard, in
order to use 802.21 services, most existing upper layers will have to
adopt it, which means making some changes, modifications, and
enhancements. And the exact changes, modifications, and enhancements an
upper layer needs to make is out of scope of 802.21. I thought this
approach is well understood and agreed upon by all the participants in
802.21. This is essentially part of our design assumption.

It's perfectly ok for us to discuss the *potential* value of a new
service that we are defining in 802.21 by analyzing *possible* use
cases. But the discussion must be under the assumption that some
changes/modification/enhancements will happen to the existing upper
layer before it can use the 802.21 service.

But to say a proposed 802.21 service does not fit into the current
established bahevior of an existing upper layer and therefore it should
be rejected is a very BAD argument! If this type of argument is allowed,
I could virtually argue against anything being defining in 802.21!

regards,
-Qiaobing