Re: [802.21] Security related study group in 802.21

Hi, Yoshihiro,
thank you for so quick reaction and comments.

>Your slide #10 discusses network identity.  I have two questions here.
>What is the difference between network name and network identity?

Network name is the name of an access network like ESSID in 802.11 and
identity may represent the owner of this access network (operator name).
The problem is that one operator can manage some access networks with
different names (or even with different name presentation, e.g. 802.11
and UMTS). A user¡Çs home network or a security broker has roaming
agreements/trust relations with the operator and provides a user with
correspondent credentials. It is redundant to create authentication
material for each access network belongs to the same operator (???). A
MN should know what credentials are destined to what network. In this
case the MN may need to map the name of the target network it sees (or
returned by the IS) to the name of the target operator.

Does an Information Service do such a job on information query from a user?

>(a
>more general question is; what is the definition of network identity?)

I have not found a ¡Èstandard¡É definition, but commonly the network
identity is its name, isn¡Çt it?

>Also, why do you discuss identity management issues in the context of
>fast re-authentication while identity management issues seem to be
>part of general network access authentication issues including initial
>authentication and (fast) re-authentication?

I entirely agree that identity management issue is not specific for
re-authentication.

Best regards,
Maryna