RE: [802.21] Discussion thread for MIHF ID

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the thoughful reply.

There is a pending comment against the curent wording of the text... So
we cannot leave it simply as it is, an example with FQDN and NAI without
realm. We have to make a finite list of the possible MIHF IDs (by
specifically calling out the list of options.)

One proposition is that we are OK if we limit the scope of the MIHF ID's
uniqueness to an administrative domain. If we don't intend to support
handover between administrative domains, that seems reasonable. The
example of an NAI without realm was used as a non unique ID space which
would however be unique within an administrative domain. IP address was
also another example.

Regarding the use of MAC address as an MIHF ID, that is possible,
however there was a thought that for devices with add-on or
interchangeable IEEE interfaces, the MAC address on one of the
interfaces might change or disappear. This goes against the requirements
and the current spec.

Regarding use of IP address, that can also change, even within an
administrative domain, while a MN is already in a registered MIH
session. An example is when the MN moves from one link type to another.
In general using addresses as ID's is a bad idea for many reasons.

Regarding the concern of global uniqueness being overy difficult or
constraining, that was discussed at the ad hoc. Difficulties with
assigning and maintaining FQDN's for mobile nodes were discussed. Since
we are considering adopting existing globally unique ID's for the MIHF
ID, there is no difficulty to find many infinite ID spaces that already
have that property.

The concern with non-unique ID spaces, is that there will be collisions
in the inter-domain case, and potentially within a domain (see IP
address example above). To resolve these will require one of two
approaches. One is to change something in the protocol to handle the
collisions when they occur. The other is a change to existing business
practice, so there is an administrative agreement on avoiding the
collisions. Today, there is no such negotiation between domains to avoid
duplication of the user's ID or device ID's.

So one proposal is to limit the list of ID spaces to be NAI with realm,
FQDN, and IMEI. These are unique and will support current roaming
models, and will not require additional changes to the protocol.

I also proposed a compromise which was to allow for fixed nodes to have
non-unique MIHF ID, while mobile nodes would require globally unique
MIHF ID's, to support handover between domains, and to ease the problem
of discovery of the fixed node MIHFs.

If not, we also proposed including something in the protocol to resolve
collisions, if we accept NAI without realm or IP address as components
of the MIHF ID.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
Michael