Fwd: Re: [802-11WG] untestable PICS items

Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:54:42 -0400
Sender: ***** IEEE stds-802-11 List ***** <STDS-802-11@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
From: David Cypher <david.cypher@nist.gov>
Subject: Re: [802-11WG] untestable PICS items
To: STDS-802-11@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Working Group Reflector --- PICS - Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement

The "I" stands for implementation.  The "I" dose not stand for interoperability.
So if you think that an IEEE 802 standard is written for interoperability and not as an implementation, then there should never be a PICS Proforma contained, since that is not its purpose.

Conformance and interoperability are two different items.
- Things that are conformant may not be interoperable.
- Things that are interoperable may not be conformant.

Stop mixing the two.  They are different.

Please educate yourself by reading the ISO 9646 or ITU-T X.296.  It will go a long way.

David Cypher
Again