[802.3_100GEL] Comments Recommended for Deferral to WG Ballot

Dear Colleagues –

Thank you for the great progress we’ve made in comment resolution thus far!

Looking ahead to next week…
We have 2 topics we tabled (TP4a SIT and TP4 modes) as well as topics that the editorial team recommends deferring to working group for various reasons.  Based on the task force consensus we agreed to focus on technical completeness and head towards initiating working group ballot in March.  Out of respect for this consensus many commenters held back many comments until next round; making any wide-impacting changes at this point could create larger holes elsewhere in the draft.

Topics recommended to defer:  See slide 9 of https://www.ieee802.org/3/ck/public/21_01/comagenda_3ck_05_0121.pdf

  • CA COM Cp (CC)
  • Asymmetric hosts
  • LF resolution
  • PRBS9Q
  • Pulse peak
  • RX RLCC
  • TP0v/TP5v method
  • TP1a/TP4 gDC

I recognize that each of these listed topics are valuable and the commenters put time into their analysis and proposal, but I ask if the task force would consider a neutral comment response such as:  “This comment proposes a change to the draft that does not address technical completeness. The commenter is invited to resubmit this comment during working group ballot.”

We intend to address each comment on its own and close using the above response, if the task force agrees in its deferral.

Should we choose to have a technical discussion on the deferred comments, the TF will likely miss the WG submission deadline which means no WG ballot until May.  March seems a long ways away, but remember, we need to close comments, implement the adopted responses, and review that there aren’t any large issues remaining… And still pre-submit by March 5th.  So I ask that as you consider this recommendation prior to Tuesday’s meeting; keep in mind the larger project impact of opening each of these issues.

~Beth