Re: [802.3_100GEL] C2M: Add, Sigma_Rj, EoJ, Sj, SNDR, and PR

Adee,

Maybe that is the issue. If an electronic waveform generator with a mathematical introduction of Sj it may be synchronous.  Perhaps that would include systematic eye close akin to adding noise. The assertion would be the SNDR (sigma_e) should not change w/wo Sj.  That could be verified.

… Rich

From: Adee Ran (aran) <aran@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 9:55 AM
To: richard.mellitz@xxxxxxxxx; STDS-802-3-100GEL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3_100GEL] C2M: Add, Sigma_Rj, EoJ, Sj, SNDR, and PR

Hi Geoff,

The measurement of EOJ as defined in 120D.2.1.8.2 is specifically intended to capture the timing difference between even and odd transitions. This impairment is characteristic of the driving clock, and is therefore independent of the channel. Having a channel just makes it hard to measure.

Any dependence of the EOJ on the channel would be a measurement artifact. I’m glad to know that this concern is removed.

@Rich: the pulse fitting (which is the first step in SNDR measurement) should be performed with averaged signal, which I thought should cancel the jitter effect. If the SJ frequency is coherent with the PRBS frequency it would not cancel out, but I doubt that.

I would suspect insufficient averaging as a likely cause, since with SJ one would need to average a lot more than without it. Looking at sigma_e of the SNDR, with and without SJ, should give a good hint.

I still don’t see how this affects VEC/EH in real life – since these measurements do not use the fitted pulse?

</Adee>