[802.3_100GEL] Follow-up on SNDR/SNR_TX presentation from the January 12 interim teleconference

I am getting feedback on several threads in parallel, so I thought it would be best to move this discussion to the reflector.

</Adee>

From: Anand Ravindran Nair Katchani <anandrk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, 12 January 2022 20:34
To: Beth Kochuparambil (edonnay) <edonnay@xxxxxxxxx>; Adee Ran (aran) <aran@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Kent Lusted <kent.c.lusted@xxxxxxxxx>; Matt Brown (mbrown8023@xxxxxxxxx) <mbrown8023@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [3ck] Questions on Ad Hoc Presentation

No problem and Thank you Beth for starting the thread.

Hi Adee,

First of all Thank you for bringing this topic and efforts for real good data.

As discussed in the meeting I would like to understand few things regarding SNDR proposal.

  1. When C0 is not equal to 1
    1. Case 1 -> adding pre or post cursors. Here the C0 is lower than 1. Does the equation hold here?
    2. Case 2 -> Reducing the swing by lowering C0 and other taps are 0. Is this the case intended?
    3. If case 1 does not need the equation then we might have to consider sum of all Coefficients
  2. Do we need a SNDR of 36.6dB?
    1. C0 goes lower than 1 as in case 2(above) would be mostly for a short channel or a low loss channel. Here do we need a high SNDR?
    2. I believe the spec of 32.5dB what we have now holds good at C0=1
    3. When the C0 goes down and if thereby SNDR drops then the SNDR can be normalized back to C0. I also believe measurement needed change and not the design.
  3. How to measure C0
    1. The measurement becomes little complicated here. Always we have to do relative measurement where we need to first measure with C0=1 and then with intended C0 value to find out the C0 value. Is there any other way?

Regards,

Anand RK