Re: [802.3_100GEL] Follow-up on SNDR/SNR_TX presentation from the January 12 interim teleconference

Second thread

</Adee>

From: Mike Dudek mdudek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 13 January 2022 19:52
To: Bill Kirkland wkirkland@xxxxxxxxxxx; Adee Ran (aran) aran@xxxxxxxxx; Edward Frlan EFrlan@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: 'richard.mellitz@xxxxxxxxx' richard.mellitz@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Tx SNDR/SNR

I agree with Bill.    These are different.

Another contribution to the “D” term is any non-linear distortion.

SNR_Tx is used in the simulations (e.g. COM) because it would complicate the models/simulations dramatically to include non-linear distortion or create Long reflections that create ISI outside the Np range.   Also if you tried to create these, there are an infinite number of different ways to create then and choosing one specific way (or asking for multiple different ways to be used) would further complicate the simulations.   They are therefore treated as “noise” and included in the SNR_Tx.

Another difference as Adee has pointed out is that SNR_Tx is I think assumed in the simulations to remain constant at all points in the link.     In a real link SNDR will vary with link/package attenuation depending on the spectrum of the noise/distortion.   (However if you assume a linear equalizer in the receiver this spectrum effect will disappear at the point that matters, as the linear equalizer will boost the high frequency noise that the link/package has attenuated.   A DFE rather than a linear equalizer will not restore the high frequency noise and will give better performance.

The values are set to be the same to close the budget with no margin.   I have made proposals in the past on other projects to have more noise in the stressed Rx calibration to provide some link margin for effects that are not fully captured.   (e.g. reflections between the Tx and channel) but that was not accepted.