10Gig Copper Strawman

Hi All,

I thought I would start the ball rolling for a technical concept by
posting this strawman. If someone finds a serious problem with it, please
respond. Cable vendors.. post IL, RL and NEXT curves. Connector vendors..
do the same. Silicon vendors.. does it look feasible?

In the mean time, I am soliciting feedback from system vendors and server
companies to provide a breakdown of copper versus fiber links for their
high-speed switch connections. If you have data to share, please do.

As I stated in the meetings, customers prefer copper when they can save
money. We have seen a HUGE response to our recent 1000T introduction by
customers who grudgingly used SX to attach our switches together in the
wiring closet. I expect that as servers get 1000T NICs, we will see a
similar movement to copper in those applications. To quantify a bit, I am
getting an HP marketing guy to put together some slides to provide more
solid numbers to back those statements up.

Let's get this ball going!

Regards,

Dan Dove

___________     _________________________________________________________