Re: 10Gig Copper Strawman

Dan,

This is an interesting idea, but as a "marketing guy", my
sincere opinion is that the market for 10Gigabit over
16-conductor copper cable is very close to zero.

A closer analogy would be 1000BASE-CX, rather than 1000BASE-T.
1000BASE-CX also required a less than common cabling scheme, and
has not achieved a high-volume position in the market.

I have had literally zero users ask for 1000BASE-CX support,
and I have talked to hundreds of users about Gigabit Ethernet
technology, products and applications.  I anticipate the
same behavior for 10Gig over a 16-conductor Cu cable.

What customers value even more for this class of application
is compatibility, which 1000BASE-T delivers, and neither
1000BASE-CX nor this proposal provide.

Best regards,

Les Poltrack
Product Line Manager, Gigabit Ethernet