re[2]: 10Gig Copper Strawman

To Copper folks,

The concept of a copper based extension to Hari is dependant on the question of if Hari can be extended.  This is actually not clear.

If Hari is 'terminated' at each node, with both jitter and skew budgets being reset, then it is a violation of the Hari spec to run 20" on a PCB to a header, and onto copper.  To comply, the connector will need a CMOS IC that receives the Hari, resets the jitter and skew budget, and recreates Hari.

This may seem excessive, but I've heard some interpret Hari this way.

My preference is to instead define a Hari repeater.  This would be like a CDR without a clock output.  In otherwords, it would accept, on a per channel basis, a Hari input and perform a jitter transfer function with a low loop bandwidth (LBW TBD).  This would reject jitter above the LBW, but do nothing to reduce the skew.  This Hari repeater would need to be inserted in Dan's copper_strawman.pdf on both the transmitting and the receiving sides.  The equalization questions will remain.

The Hari repeater concept is critical to the x4 copper concept, as it is to WWDM or ribbon fiber.

Your comments are welcome.

Regards, Bill