RE: Estimating the magnitude of PMD

Vipul,

One of the people who "does PMD for a living" is Fred Heismann
at Lucent Bell Labs. In his 1998 paper at ECOC[1], he writes

"While modern single-mode fibers exhibit negligible PMD, with
average Differential Group Delay (DGD) of the order of 0.1 ps/
sqrt(km), some of the older fiber cables - in particular those
embedded in terrestrial networks - can show large PMD effects
with average DGD's up to 2 ps/sqrt(km). Moreover, the instant-
aneous DGD in such high-PMD fibers generally fluctuates randomly
with time and hence, can temporarily exceed values of more than
100 ps for transmission distances of only a few hundred kilo-
meters, which may lead to a complete eye closure in a 10-Gb/s
signal."

Researchers from Royal PTT Research (Netherlands) published their
theory about the cause of high PMD in older cables[2]:

"The variety in PMD's of cables might be related to the cable
design, which is often not specified, unfortunately....In a heli-
cally wound loose-tube filled with gel, as in our cable, the fiber
can be guided without any mechanical contact with the walls of the
loose tube. Therefore it is plausible that fibers in a stranded
loose tube cable can have very long polarization mode-coupling
lengths...the long polarization mode-coupling has been shown to be
the main reason for a high PMD in our cable...From the viewpoint
of PMD, these cables may be actually too kind to the fiber, causing
unnecessarily large PMD's."

Simulations of PMD in 10-Gb/s links, again by Lucent[3], show the
counter-intuitive (for me at least) result that even 40 ps of DGD
adds negligible deterministic jitter while their measured eye
diagrams imply little added random jitter. This gives support to the
idea of treating PMD as an impairment to the center-of-eye opening
similar to the treatment of ISI. Plots of Power Penalty vs. DGD
are published in various places[cf. 3]. Henning Bulow wrote a paper
about measurements on one installed cable (52 km) where he found the
random PMD fluctuations occurred in 5-50 milliseconds[4] but said
they were more likely due to vibrations/movements at the fiber ends
than due to temperature/strain variations in the buried span.

Hope this helps.

Chris

P.S. The tutorial by Heismann[3] is by far the best introduction to
PMD that I have seen and should be required reading for those trying
to get up to speed.

[1] Heismann, F., et. al., "Automatic Compensation of First-order
Polarization Mode Dispersion in a 10 Gb/s Transmission System", ECOC
1998, Madrid, Spain, 329-30.
[2] de Lignie, M. C., et. al., "Large Polarization Mode Dispersion in
Fiber Optic Cables", Journal of Lightwave Technology, v. 12, no. 8,
p. 1325-9, 1994.
[3] Heismann, F., "Polarization Mode Dispersion: Fundamentals and
Impact on Optical Communications Systems (Tutorial)", ECOC 1998,
Madrid, Spain, p. 51-79.
[4] Bulow, H., et. al., "Measurements of the Maximum Speed of PMD
Fluctuation in Installed Field Fiber", OFC/IOOC 1999, San Diego, CA,
p. 83-5.

Christopher J. Madden, Ph.D.         3900 Freedom Circle, Suite 200
Principal Engineer/Scientist                  Santa Clara, CA 95054
Fiber-Optic Data Communications                 Phone: 408.565.6857
Tripath Technology Inc.                           Fax: 408.565.6850
http://www.tripath.com                          cmadden@xxxxxxxxxxx