[802.3_400G] Review of Presentations in Support of 5C Responses

All,
I have completed my own review of our presentation material in relation to the updated 5 Criteria, in particular broad market potential, technical feasibility, and economic feasibility, which are shown below.

Broad Market Potential
Each proposed IEEE 802 LMSC standard shall have broad market potential.  At a minimum, address the following areas:
  1. Broad sets of applicability.
  2. Multiple vendors and numerous users.
  3. Balanced Costs (LAN versus attached stations) [Removed from IEEE 802 5 Criteria 11/12]

Technical Feasibility
Each proposed IEEE 802 LMSC standard shall provide evidence that the project is technically feasible within the time frame of the project. At a minimum, address the following items to demonstrate technical feasibility:
a)      Demonstrated system feasibility.
  1. Proven similar technology via testing, modeling, simulation, etc.
  2. Confidence in reliability.  [Removed from IEEE 802 5 Criteria 11/13]

Economic Feasibility
Each proposed IEEE 802 LMSC standard shall provide evidence of economic feasibility. Demonstrate, as far as can reasonably be estimated, the economic feasibility of the proposed project for its intended applications. Among the areas that may be addressed in the cost for performance analysis are the following:
a)      Balanced costs (infrastructure versus attached stations).
b)      Known cost factors.
c)      Consideration of installation costs.
d)      Consideration of operational costs (e.g. energy consumption).

Excluding agenda and liaison reports, in my opinion (and that is an important point – it is just my  opinion) I observe the following

I have attached the spreadsheet, complete with links to the individual presentations, for everyone to review.  Please feel free to review and comment on my assessment.  Given the number of presentations I reviewed, it is possible that I may have misinterpreted some data.

Further, I will be reaching out to individuals to assign ad hocs to pull together draft responses to individual criteria.  I intend to use the applications ad hoc to deal with broad market potential.   Meeting announcements will be made shortly.

I am asking all to make use of the reflector to discuss my assessments. We need to make sure that we address all areas of concern, so that we make sure as we write our responses that we have backing data to support our proposed responses.

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia
Chair, IEEE 802.3 400 Gb/s Ethernet Study Group