From: Chris Bullock (bullock) [mailto:bullock@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 1, 2017 7:09 PM
To: STDS-802-3-4PPOE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_4PPOE] PSE state machine - Stuck in ENTRY_SEC and related issues.

EXTERNAL EMAIL

Hi Lennart,

For DS, Sequence 3 enforces that detection on secondary pairset does not occur until after the primary pairset is powered.

That is what is meant by “staggered”.

Yair: This is clear, but it should not be the only possibility for staggered. See my previous mails about it.

The original intent and definition of staggered was to do detection of the 2nd pairset without overlapping with detection of the 1st pair. This means any time after the 1st pair detection to before power on, during power on and after power on for dual-signature PD. The use of 4PID concept only will determine the must timing between them.

For DS, Sequence 0, the detection/class has no enforced timing relationship.

Yair: How you would be interpreted staggered for Sequence 1 for dual-sig PD?

“Parallel” just means that they happen pseudo-concurrently, but not necessarily sync’d.

Yair: This is fine but where this is defined?

I suggest defining “parallel” and “staggered” in CC_DET_SEQ variable definition in page 109. I plane that it will be part of darshan_13_0917.pdf that touches the comments where the intent is not clear.

What about:

“parallel detection is when detection of both pairsets are done within Tdet.

“staggered detection is when the detection of the secondary starts after detection on the primary ends”. This definition is a bit overlaps the 1st definition but technically is correct and covers all cases explicitly.

Yair

Thanks,

Chris