Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Definition of alt_pwrd_pri

Lennart –

OK, so I went and looked at the use of alt_pwrd_pri and alt_pwrd_sec.

If I have it correctly, they are FALSE when no power is applied and go true in POWER_UP states.

As such, there names and senses are probably backwards – (they could  be “alt_nopwr_pri/sec”) – but let’s not touch that, for fear of making too many changes.

To remind, the definition currently reads:

alt_pwrd_pri

A variable that controls the circuitry that the PSE uses to power the PD over the Alternative that has been assigned as Primary.

Values:

FALSE: The PSE is not to apply power to the Primary Alternative.

TRUE: The PSE has detected, classified, and will power a PD on the Primary Alternative, is powering the Primary Alternative.

My review of the functioning of alt_pwrd_XYZ is that it is FALSE when there is no power applied to the PI by the PSE, and becomes TRUE in the POWER_UP state, and remains true in POWER_ON (and all times after that when power is actually applied).

We had something similar in 802.3bu, and ended up with a similar variable, pi_powered:

pi_powered

TRUE: the circuitry that applies full operating voltage to the PI is enabled.

FALSE: the circuitry that applies full operating voltage to the PI is disabled.

Based on the description of alt_pwrd_pri/sec, I think it is the same thing, since going into POWER_UP (and then POWER_ON) refers to the application of full operating voltage to the PI.

As such, here is what I suggest (using the pri as an example):

alt_pwrd_pri

A variable that controls the circuitry that the PSE uses to power the PD over the Alternative that has been assigned as Primary.

Values:

FALSE: The circuitry that applies full operating voltage to the Primary alternative of the PI is disabled.

TRUE: The circuitry that applies full operating voltage to the Primary alternative of the PI is enabled.

-george