Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Type 4 PD

The option with the separate sentences is the clearest.

Who is filing a comment for this ?

Lennart

On Fri, 2017-10-20 at 18:55 +0000, Chad Jones (cmjones) wrote:

Well, one fix is to remove the first comma. It is the thing making you think that and actually makes the sentence incorrect.

1.4.418aa Type 3 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 6 or a dual-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 4 on both Modes during Physical Layer classification, implements Multiple-Event classification, and accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause 145).

1.4.418ac Type 4 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 7 or Class 8 or a dual-signature PD that request Class 5 on at least one Mode during Physical Layer classification, implements Multiple-Event classification, is capable of Data Link Layer classification, and accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause 145).

it would also be needed in your other option:

1.4.418aa Type 3 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 6 or a dual-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 4 on both Modes during Physical Layer classification.  Additionally, the PD implements Multiple-Event classification, and accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause 145).

1.4.418ac Type 4 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 7 or Class 8 or a dual-signature PD that request Class 5 on at least one Mode during Physical Layer classification.  Additionally,  the PD implements Multiple-Event classification, is capable of Data Link Layer classification, and accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause 145).

Chad Jones

Tech Lead, Cisco Systems

Chair, IEEE P802.3bt 4PPoE Task Force

Principal, NFPA 70 CMP3

OK, so the path of various solutions has gotten convoluted, and Heath pointed out to me offline that we need to straighten out Lennart & Andrea’s different parts.  This combination seems to work:

1.4.418aa Type 3 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 6, or a dual-signature PD that requests Class 1 to Class 4 on both Modes during Physical Layer classification, implements

Multiple-Event classification, and accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause 145).

1.4.418ac Type 4 PD: A single-signature PD that requests Class 7 or
Class 8, or a dual-signature PD that request Class 5 on at least one
Mode during Physical Layer classification, implements Multiple-Event
classification, is capable of Data Link Layer classification, and
accepts power on both Modes simultaneously. (See IEEE 802.3, Clause
145).

One minor thing is that we can expect a comment on both of these that it reads like any single-sig class 1 to 6 (type 3,  or 8 for type 4) is a type 3,4 PD; while a dual-sig requires the additional features listed.  The English doesn’t parse uniquely like a logic equation.  What I was trying to wrap my head around was whether there was a reordering or rephrasing that made it clear that the logic was: ( (SS = class 7 + class 8) + (DS = maxclass 5) ) * (features).

Breaking these into two sentences might work: