Re: [802.3_4PPOE] Power price index update

Bruce & all –

This email has two parts – one about Bruce & Geoff’s discussion and one about what Lennart actually proposed.

Part 1: The proposal, actionable for 802.3bt:

What Lennart actually proposed is, IMO, an encoding, not a description of how or why to use the field.  I think the encoding is useful and I think a nonlinear mapping (rather than the current linear mapping) is useful.  However, the text preceding it is problematic, because it refers to the term “price” in numerous places, something we scrupulously avoided in the initial text.

79.3.8.2 PSE power price index

The PSE power price index field shall contain an index of the current price of electricity compared to what the PSE

considers the nominal electricity price. The determination of the nominal electricity price is implementation dependent.

The field is encoded as defined in Equation (79–1). The PSE sets the value of this field taking the availability of power

from any external and internal resources, and the relative supply and demand balance, into account. A value of 0xFFFF

means that no power price index is available

The original text, while calling the field “power price index” only uses the term “price” in connection with “index”.

It describes the field as representing, “a linear index of the current value of electricity” which keeps us clean of the line for “cost”, “price”, etc.

I recommend staying closer to the original wording, and modifying Lennart’s first paragraph and the text after where KPPI as below, to relate to value rather than price.

The PSE power price index field shall contain an index of the current price value of electricity compared to what the PSE

considers the nominal valueelectricity price. The determination of the nominal electricity valueprice is implementation dependent.

The field is encoded as defined in Equation (79–1). The PSE sets the value of this field taking the availability of power

from any external and internal resources, and the relative supply and demand balance, into account. A value of 0xFFFF

means that no power price index is available

… (table and equation as in Lennart’s)…

where

KPPI is the power price index expressed as a factor ranging from 0.0004 to 100 the nominal valueprice

-------

Part 2:

Now to Bruce & Geoff’s discussion:

Bruce, you know that I support the concept of this index – I believe it leads us to an infrastructure capable of managing energy.   We need, however, to figure out the right place for it.  802.3bt is the right place to define the field.  It isn’t however, the right place for tutorial text on how to use it, or informative text about what it means.

If the information about how to use it is necessary for interoperable power-price systems, then I believe that functionality is a higher-layer function (at least a layer 2 exchange, with some layer 3-4 attributes), and needs to be specified in another (or its own) standard, most likely above the 802 level.  This (other) standard could give the hard requirements necessary.  That standard can then be (later) referenced by 802.3

If the information isn’t necessary for interoperable power-price systems, then, it is only one possible use.  Application whitepapers can be written by other bodies (including IEEE 802 coordinating groups like those in 802.24 for smart grid and IoT) describing what these mean and how they are used.  You could also consider defining a reference model within the Ethernet Alliance or a similar group (my preference would be the EA, because most of the PoE-related folks are involved and then would be aware).

-george