Re: [802.3_B10GAUTO] suggestion for comment i-4 (spectrum analyzer/balun vs. DSA)

The issue is that IEEE 802.3 does not specify the test equipment and the Balun is part of the test equipment.  I incorporated it into the ‘measurement equipment’.  It is up to the implementer to use appropriately specified and calibrated test equipment.  Just as we don’t specify the bandwidth of the DSA…

From: Boyer, Rich <rich.boyer@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2023 7:49 AM
To: George Zimmerman <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-3-B10GAUTO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: suggestion for comment i-4 (spectrum analyzer/balun vs. DSA)

Just to be clear, the issue was not the use of the spectrum analyzer it was concerning the BALUN.

There were comments that the BALUN was not defined and there was concern that the BALUN would give incorrect or inconsistent results of PSD measurement if not correctly designed for the complete frequency range.

It was then asked how this measurement was being made by most people and those that replied stated they make this measurement with the same setup as the transmitter test fixture 1 that required no BALUN and used a capturing device.

I volunteered to discuss with others to come up with a comment to eliminate use of the BALUN or define it.  The group decided to eliminate the BALUN and therefore the spectrum analyzer.  I was then volunteered by the group to submit the comment.

We can discuss this in more detail during our comment resolution.

Rich Boyer

EMC & SI Technical Manager

Rich.Boyer@xxxxxxxxx