[802.3_NGAUTO] draft contribution on asymmetric rates

Colleagues –

Attached is a draft contribution summarizing a number of the ways that asymmetric rates are dealt with in 802.3 as well as some of the related PHY implementation issues.

There are 2 key messages here:

1.       Asymmetry is a systems issue, and we have to think beyond just the PHY.  802.3 has ways of doing this from which a Task Force can choose, and

2.       We have a lot of tools at our disposal, and that we need to think about what asymmetry means in a PHY project – there are going to be a bunch of technical choices to be made – not really the task of Study Groups.  I am not proposing a specific solution, only showing what already exists in IEEE Std 802.3, some of the systems impacts, as well as the various general tools available to PHY designers and their impacts.

It is my opinion (based on the above) that we don’t need an additional objective, even to “not preclude” asymmetric rates.  Unless someone can point to a consequence of our existing objectives that creates a problem we need to avoid, we shouldn’t confuse the issues with the working group by adding one. (if there is some consequence, then let’s treat that issue up front!)

I plan on discussing this contribution at our next ad hoc call.

-george

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx