[802.3_OMEGA] Regarding comments I-107, I-108: center wavelength range

Dear 802.3cz Task Force participants,

I am expressing an opinion regarding the subject matter of comments I-107 and I-108 against 802.3cz D3.0. I am very concerned about the REJECT response.

The automotive industry will benefit from the participation of multiple VCSEL suppliers. The short optical links can be served by VCSELs of any wavelength where fiber has sufficient bandwidth. I support expanding the wavelength range to include 850 nm, 910 nm, and 940 nm VCSELs for broad market participation. Virtually all VCSELs made for datacom are at 850 - 940 nm with more than two decades of operation in the field.

A lot of discussion has focused on reliability. Both Mirko Hoser (affiliated with Coherent Corp) and Ramana Murty (affiliated with Broadcom) have presented the excellent reliability of 850 nm VCSELs. Both show lifetime with margin for the automotive application. The reliability calculations presented by Ramana make the point that VCSELs are screened for lifetime and that is accurate.

Several statements in the response to the comment I-108 are demonstrably inaccurate. 850 nm VCSELs do not need to be biased below 5 mA to achieve a long lifetime and there is no difficulty in achieving performance over -40 deg C to 125 deg C. Also, our experience with commercial implementation of SWDM transceivers has proven that there is no adverse impact on manufacturing or testing cost for receivers designed to accept a wide range of wavelengths.

It is difficult enough to predict the future. Restricting our implementation options unnecessarily is not a wise decision.

Best Regards,

Vipul Bhatt

Affiliation: Coherent Corp