Re: [802.3_RTPGE] Channel definitions ad hoc: Nov 1 minutes, Nov 8 agenda

Colleagues,

Subject: RTPGE Channel definitions ad hoc minutes - Nov 1 and Nov 8 agenda
Next meeting: Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:00 AM PST Pacific Time (US & Canada).
Webex information way below.

November 8, Meeting agenda
Continue MDI/in-line connector/test fixture discussions using straw poll presentation attached...

Minutes - Channel definitions ad hoc minutes – Nov 1, 2012
Attendees: (I counted 20 attendees– The list below are names of those I received attendance participation requests )

David  Dwelly  - linear - ddwelley@xxxxxxxxxx

Ronnie Sanford – Commscope Ronnie.Sanford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

George Zimmerman CME Consulting / Commscope -  gzimmerman11@xxxxxxx –

Geoff Thompson - thompson@xxxxxxxx

Eric Gettings - Commscope -gettings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Todd Herman – Commscope -THerman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sasha.Babenko – Molex - Sasha.Babenko @molex.com\

Laurence Matola – Delphi - laurence.matola @delphi.com

Waseem Mir - Delphi - Waseem.Mir@xxxxxxxxxx

>>Attendees were asked to review the patent policy slides at http://www.ieee802.org/3/patent.html.
>> Contributions received and reviewed:
++RTPSG-channel definition ad hoc-connectors.pdf
++Geoff Thomson - strawman for discussion - attached below

Lot's of discussion during review of contributions...
>>Geoff provided background detailed in strawman discussion -
>>One of the discussion bullets consistent with straw poll question...
>>>The specs for the MDI attachment and in-line connectors should be performance based but not mechanically constrained.
>>>George Zimmerman asked that straw poll questions explicitly state RTPGE, revised
accordingly.
>>>Larry Matola (delphi) suggested the answer to the question on in-line connector system requirements will be driven primarily by cost/performance; leading to the question on current performance of current in-line connector systems. Larry offered  to work in cooperation with the UNH-IOL initiative by providing current automotive cable assemblies for testing.
Straw poll
•Are there requirements for mechanically compatible in-line
connector systems "FOR RTPGE" between automobile manufacturers?
•Are there requirements for mechanically compatible MDIs
•Are there requirements for automotive link segment test
fixtures?

Geoff Thompson - strawman for discussion
Chris-

What I heard on the channel definitions ad hoc call today plus what I have from history comes down to something like the following which I would like to put forth as a strawman for discussion as the connector requirement for RTPGE.

- There is no particular desire to reuse the RJ-45 as a twisted pair Ethernet connector in the automotive environment. The only possible exception to this might be "external" connections for use by end users for connecting consumer Ethernet equipment to the vehicle. That requirement (if it exists) probably has nothing to do with RTPGE.

- RTPGE provides a "moment in history" point for us to escape the tyranny of the installed base for twisted-pair Ethernet and the well-known problems of the RJ-45.

- Automotive manufacturers and suppliers have their own requirements (driven by a number of factors) for the physical configuration of connectors to be used for RTPGE.

- Automotive manufacturers and suppliers have requirements for RTPGE to pass through in-harness connectors that are very likely to have a significant number of non-ethernet pins carrying a wide variety of signals.

- The specs for the MDI attachment and in-line connectors should be performance based but not mechanically constrained.

- The above not withstanding, it would be useful to be able to standardize the circuit board interface for RTPGE. (I have problems with this concept reconciling edge connectors vs. headers, etc.)

- Power transmission over the same conductors and connectors was not discussed today. It is a real consideration and might come into play at multiple power levels.

- It would be very useful to have a fully specified (i.e. electrically and mechanically) test connector for RTGE. This would be used for establishing baseline performance and for interfacing test equipment. This connector would not have as stringent cost constraints as the connectors used in production volumes.

If all of the above is not correct then I hope it is at least useful as a starting point for discussion.

Best regards,
Geoff Thompson

WEBEX November 8, 2012

Topic: Channel definitions ad hoc