[802.3_RTPGE] [802.3bp] [EMC-Noise Ad Hoc] 2nd Follow up to F2F Meeting notes 7/17/2013

Dear colleagues,

attached I have some information collected within our archives. This slide set shows the possible influence of the vehicle environment to unshielded cabling.

The first part shows older balance measurements conducted on today’s FlexRay cabling in a real cable harness on a metallic test bench – This type of cabling, especially

the connector and assembly is for sure not usable for Gigabit Ethernet, but the measurements show, that there is significant influence of the vehicle environment.

The second part is part of a PhD thesis, which shows the influence of nearby metallic structures to unjacketed TP cables in a worst case environment. Here even the

insertion loss is influenced by the environment, however I guess – but did not verify – that for jacketed cable there should be much less influence.

From my point of view this results show the necessity to investigate the channel parameters not only in a lab environment, but also in real vehicle environment/vehicle harness.

Regards,

Stefan