Re: [BP] [bp] 802.3 approves Backplane Ethernet PAR

Yong:

There is nothing that requires a 1:1 relationship between CFIs and SGs,
nor SGs and PARs.  A significant percentage of CFIs fail to engender
enough support for a SG, and 802.3 initiates some projects without
either a CFI or SG.  Though this exception is I believe only appropriate
for reaffirmation projects, revision projects and amendment projects as
part of our ongoing Maintenance process. (There was no CFI for
P802.3REVam that was recently approved by the Standards Board, it came
directly from the Maintenance TF.)

There is nothing that requires that a Study Group produce a PAR though
that is its primary purpose.  The Study Group can recommend that no PAR
be initiated (or as has happened, die from lack of progress).  There
also is no requirement that a Study Group only produce one PAR, it study
can conclude that two or more PARs is the appropriate way to do the
desired work (just as a TF can decide its work should be split into
different projects).  During the Backplane Ethernet CFI I discussed the
possibility that a Backplane Ethernet Study Group if formed might
recommend multiple projects.  It is the documented recommendation of the
BESG that work be divided (the motion to form a new SG for congestion
management).  The January BESG meeting had MAC client sublayer
enhancements as a continuing item for discussion in March, and the 802.3
meeting announcement highlighted continued work on objectives in March.

The BESG recommendation to split the work though did not come until the
March meeting.  Had it been a decision of the January meeting, then two
PARs would have been pre-circulated to 802.3 and the EC for
consideration in March.  Because it was a March decision to split the
work into two projects, the alternatives to continue work on both
backplane PHYs and rate/congestion management in May were to either: 1)
delay approval of the P802.3ap draft PAR while a P802.3ar draft PAR,
criteria and objectives were prepared within the BESG for
precirculation, 2) approve renewal of the Backplane Ethernet study group
including continued study of rate management after P802.3ap PAR
approval, or 3) to immediately form a study group to continue work on
the MAC Client layer enhancements and create a draft PAR, criteria and
objectives (the later two only being a difference in SG name).

This is not an issue of openness (openness is defined as the ability to
participate and no one was prohibited from participating in the SG or
802.3 meetings).  I don't know of any P&P requirement for
"transparency", nor am I confident would there be a consistent
definition.  The CFI discussion that the SG might investigate
rate/congestion management (or possibly defer for future work), and the
January SG discussion of the topic and report that the topic was one for
continued consideration in March is certainly transparent by my
definition.  I will also note that my presentation to the closing March
EC highlighted this controversy and another member of the EC that was in
attendance at the closing 802.3 meeting reiterated his reservation about
the SG being formed without a CFI.  The EC though overwhelmingly
approved the SG formation.

The CFI process is an 802.3 concept (also now used by other 802 WGs), it
is not required by IEEE 802 nor IEEE-SA.  It therefore becomes the
purview of 802.3 to decide if a new CFI is required under its rules.  As
Adam pointed out, it was discussed, and some members believed a new CFI
should be required, but a majority did not believe another CFI was
required.  I was clear as Chair that I did not believe another CFI was
required, allowing the motion (as I recall, the two past Chairs in the
room split on the need for another CFI).  The WG is the ultimate
enforcer of its rules, and clearly if it disagreed with my decision,
802.3 could have disposed of the motion differently (tabled it, voted it
down, etc.)

The threshold to progress from SG to project will be 75%, and a
commitment was made to conduct a tutorial on the rate management topic
before 802.3 votes on approving a PAR.

Bob Grow
Chair, IEEE 802.3 Working Group
bob.grow@ieee.org