Re: [802.3_50G] review of baveja_3cd_01_1117

I too very much appreciate you bringing in this data.

One further suggestion for improvement.  Please add a wider range of TDECQ values in the analysis of TDECQ versus Rx sensitivity (to reduce the effect of noise) .  This could be obtained by including the room temp data and preferably one or two points from Mach Zander modulators with very low TDECQ in the same graph.

From: Jonathan King [mailto:jonathan.king@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 1:28 PM
To: STDS-802-3-50G@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_50G] review of baveja_3cd_01_1117

Hi Prashant,

Thanks for confirming the feedback.  I do appreciate how much work went into gathering the data and presenting it – thank you!

For data analysis, when trying to determine a correlation value on noisy data with a truncated range (ie, where the scatter is a significant fraction of the range) the simple linear fit in excel is generally going to be very misleading.

I prefer to determine RMS variation a hypothetical curve, for example I would hope that TDECQ is a good predictor of receiver sensitivity (for a receiver with the same EQ as the ref EQ) so it would have a 1:1 slope with measured sensitivity.

My posted review plotted a 1:1 slope graph (y=x + c) for which ‘c’ was optimized to minimize the RMS error for all the data points in each graph. This RMS value gives you an indication of how good a predictor TDECQ is for Rx sensitivity.

It sounds like a discussion about what the minimum number of taps should be for real EQ implementations would be useful.

I think it’s also very important (for credibility) to state what functionality was used when making the receiver sensitivity measurements – for example 12 tap T spaced FFE + 2 DFE.

(But use of DFE’s would definitely help low bandwidth parts a lot, but lead to error propagation, so comparing results at 2.4e-4 would no longer be valid).

Again, I appreciate how much work went into gathering the data, and presenting it – thank you!

Best wishes

jonathan