Re: [802.3_YANG] Maximum line length of YANG modules

All the tools typically indent text appropriately so that it is more readable, but the 69 character limit per line has to be enforced manually - I do not think that it is a good use of the time of whoever develops the code right now to spend time on this, when we know there will ve changes and review. I would suggest we do the final 69-character-per-line alignment when we actually put that into RFC one day, and not right now ...

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 8:03 AM, Robert Wilton <rwilton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Marek,

I'm not sure.  Without the formatting I think that they are hard to read and review.

Thanks,
Rob

On 14/12/2016 12:21, Marek Hajduczenia wrote:
Robert,

We *could* break them down to the proper limit when they are actually published as RFC and not bother with formatting so early on. Would that make more sense?

Marek

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Wilton [mailto:rwilton@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:44 AM
To: STDS-802-3-YANG@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.ORG
Subject: [802.3_YANG] Maximum line length of YANG modules

Hi,

IETF YANG modules lines are restricted to 69 characters. This is because
they are embedded into RFCS (max 72 characters/line), and the module
ends up being indented by 3 spaces in the RFC.

For my updates to the 802.3 Ethernet YANG modules, I am also currently
formatting the maximum line length to 69 characters, but I don't know if
IEEE uses a higher limit for MIBs/YANG modules. If I should be using a
different, higher limit, then please can you let me know, and I'll
reformat the descriptions accordingly.

Thanks,
Rob

.