[8023-CMSG] Problem Statement

All,

In a discussion that I took part in earlier today,
several of us brainstormed a focus statement for
the Congestion Management Study Group. It has been
my opinion since I offered to take on the position
of chair that a clear statement of the congestion
issues that this study group was trying to evaluate
has been missing. So, I offer this focus statement
to the group. Please consider it, respond to it,
critique it, etc.

However, I will treat this the same way I'm used to
treating comments against drafts. If you don't like
it, state what's wrong and how you would change it.
Saying you don't like it doesn't help anybody. If
you can't offer a serious "suggested remedy" then
expect your "comment" to be rejected.

Sorry for the late circulation. For those planning
to join today's conference call (that's starting in
minutes), let's plan to talk about this.

Regards,
Ben

Proposed Congestion Management Study Group Focus:

First some definitions:
1) Transitory Congestion - traffic that can be
smoothed over time, without frame drop, because
average bandwidth demand is less than capacity
and peak demand can be buffered

2) Oversubscribed Congestion - traffic that cannot
be smoothed over time and results in packets that
are not admitted to the network (e.g., circuit
switching) or results in frame drop (e.g., buffer
overflow, random early discard, tail drop, etc.)

Second, using the above definitions, specific items
for study:
1)  When a link is experiencing oversubscribed
congestion, it should be possible to keep highest
priority differentiated traffic experiencing only
transitory congestion.

2) When a link is experiencing transitory congestion,
it should be possible to decrease latency for highest
priority differentiated traffic.

3) In either condition 1) or 2) above, this highest
priority differentiated traffic should not perceive
a significant difference in latency.

4) Any flow or rate control addresses oversubscribed
congestion and should first affect lower priority
differentiated traffic.

5) When even the highest priority differentiated
traffic experiences oversubscribed congestion, the
work being proposed in this project cannot provide
a solution

--
Benjamin Brown
178 Bear Hill Road