Re: [8023-CMSG] PAR proposal

All,

Long time ago I sent a proposal to control congestion with the LLC protocol, wich is the sublayer specified by the IEEE to operate over 802.3.

The experience demonstrates that the congestion control  in the network never works, because the network is one and the teminales many.

The key of the success of Internet with the TCP/IP is because the congestion control resides in the terminals with the TCP, and not in the routers.

The functions of the TCP can be made with protocol LLC type 2, with the advantage that, unlike the TCP that is software, the LLC can be implemented in hardware, and will make possible to build front-ends like TOE (TCP Offload Engines).

This mechanism not is nothing new, it is used by the equipment that emulates connections SDLC on IEEE networks 802.X, like terminals SNA 3270.  In addition, the LLC is a protocol of the family of the HDLC that nowadays is used of generalized way (PPPoSONET/SDH, PPPoATM, LAPB/X.25, LAPD/ISDN, LAPF/FRL, LAPM ...).

Another very important advantage is that with LLC+802.3, unlike with the TCP/IP, the network switches can participate in the flow and congestion control by means of messages REJ to the terminals, what they cannot do IP routers (the ICMP messages do not restrain the flow of the applications actually).

I am sure that this is the best strategy to reach our objectives of congestión control, considering in addition that it is 100% in agreement with IEEE 802 ® Referenca Model for end stations (LAN&MAN/RM).

You will read the presentation "LLC_CM.PDF" I sent to the reflector at Mon, 17 May 2004 09:06:10 -0400 (EDT) :

[8023-CMSG] Suggestion to use LLC 802.3 in CM, Jose Morales

Also, I am finishing the translation to English (I write in Spanish) of a document that extends this proposal, and that I will send to the reflector if this subject seems to you interesting for its consideration.

Thanks,

Jose

-------------------------------------
Jose Morales Barroso, Ph.D.
Director
L&M Data Communications
www.lmdata.es
Ctra. Pozuelo a Humera, 63 - Ch.39
28224 Pozuelo de Alarcon
Madrid
Spain

tel:   +34 91 352 41 31
email: jmb@ieee.org
--------------------------------------

Benjamin Brown wrote:

All,

This is not a full cut at the PAR but covers the more interesting
pieces - Title, Scope, and Purpose. Please review and comment.
Again, this, or something similar, needs to be approved in Ottawa
next week in order to pre-circulate for approval at the WG level
in San Antonio in November. Please give this serious attention
and comment with actual suggested changes.

Thanks,
Ben