[8023-CMTF] FW: Proposal uploaded to website

E-mail from Howard Frazier.

From: Howard Frazier
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 1:51 PM
To: Kevin Daines; STDS-802-3-CM@listserv.ieee.org
Cc: Pat Thaler; Shimon.Muller@Sun.COM
Subject: RE: Proposal uploaded to website

Kevin,

I appreciate the work that you and Manoj have done to address the issues that
were raised at the March meeting.  I offer the following comments on the draft edits:

Slide 16 Broad Market Potential:

Deleting the first bullet of the response undermines the "Need for the Project" as
stated in the PAR. I suggest that you copy the edited text from the PAR into
this response. Without this text, the response to the "Broad set(s) of applications"
bullet is inadequate.

Slide 16 Broad Market Potential:

The text implies that representatives from "at least 16 companies" have been in
attendance at all SG and TF meetings. I suggest that this sentence be reworded to:

      During the study group and task force meetings, there have been up to
      35 people representing 16 companies in attendance.

This may be an understatement, but the current text appears to be a gross
overstatement.

Slide 18 Compatibility:

I would argue that the current draft *changes* the MAC, rather than *conforms* to
the MAC. The response should address this argument. A possible response might be:

     The proposed standard will include rate limiting enhancements in the
     MAC sublayer while maintaing consistency with 802.1d, 802.1Q, and
     the relevant portions of 802.1f.

Slide 20 Distinct Identity:

I would argue that the current draft does not specify "One unique solution for [the]
problem". The response should address this argument. A possible response might be:

     The proposed standard may include multiple parameters to support
     a single rate limiting mechanism.

Note that I don't necessarily agree with this response, but these words seem to reflect
the position of the Task Force, and I think that they need to be stated.

Slide 22 Technical Feasibility:

The response does not address bullets 2 & 3 of this criteria, and provides an
inadequate response to bullet 1.  I do not have any suggested text at this time.

Slide 27 Objectives:

The two objectives that remain do not provide much guidance to the Task Force as
far as the properties of the rate limiting mechanisms. For instance, what is the
range of rates that should be supported, and with what degree of granularity and
precision? This may be one of the reasons that the mechanisms that were defined
in D1.1 did not accomplish what was intended.  I think that there properties of the
rate limiting mechanism should be stated in the objectives, so that the WG knows
what it is getting, and the Task Force knows what it is supposed to provide.

Howard Frazier