[STDS-802-3-NGBIDI] Call for contributions

Hello everybody,

First, let me thank all who participated at our meeting in Indianapolis, where we achieved our first complete wavelength plan.

For the 1330 / 1270 nm plan, I think that is fairly straight-forward, and no big issues there.  The guard band is 40nm, so even unfocused 45 degree filters could work, and the Tx bands are 20nm, so high yield is possible.

For the 1310 / 1290 nm plan, we have to think about the exact placement of those wavelengths.  There are several factors to consider:

  1. The width of the bands influences if cooling is required and/or what the laser yield will be (keeping in mind that the two ends may have different temperature environments (ONU is outdoors, OLT indoors).
  2. The separation of the bands determines what diplexer filter tech is possible, and the ultimate isolation possible (keeping in mind that the Rx is likely to have a “clean up” filter right in front of it, so the diplexer does not need to be perfect).
  3. The placement of the bands determines the dispersive penalties one will suffer (again, depending on Tx technology).

I would like to invite all our participants to consider this optimization problem, and to contribute your findings to the exploder.

Sincerely,

Frank E.