[802.3_DWDM] Update - Report to 802.3WG

Title: Update - Report to 802.3WG

All,

As previously discussed, at yesterdays 802.3 mid-plenary session, I gave an update to the 802.3 WG on the status of the project.  This report can be found at https://www.ieee802.org/3/minutes/mar22/0322_3cw_open_report.pdf.

After my report a couple of key questions were asked

1.      As chair of the TF, should the .3cw PAR be withdrawn.  I stated that the PAR should not be removed at this time, given the January straw poll that indicated presentations on EVM data would be coming in May, but this effort should not be allowed to continue if there is no progress I also noted that the Task Force review extension had not closed yet, but no new comments had been submitted at that time.  So I was hopeful that I would see a pickup in participation.

2.      It was also suggested that the projects CSD should be reviewed to see if it is still an accurate representation of the project.  [After reviewing the CSD, I do note that there is a statement regarding participation in the BMP response.  I havent had a chance yet to validate its appropriateness.]

My read on the status with 802.3 then -

Based on the IEEE P802.3cw report I gave on progress at the IEEE 802.3 Mid-session plenary meeting, Mr. Law  (the IEEE 802.3 Working group Chair) will consult with me on our progress nearer to the May 2022 IEEE 802.3 Interim meeting series. If at that time, there is still little progress, Mr. Law, will allocate a significant proportion of the IEEE 802.3 May 2022 Interim meeting agenda to a discussion of the IEEE P802.3cw Task Force status, and how to move forward.

So the good news after this is that I did get a report on EVM data that i have uploaded to our meeting page - https://www.ieee802.org/3/cw/public/22_03/maniloff_3cw_01_220314.pdf.  In addition, I have received feedback from 1 additional commenter.  I am hopeful that this email will encourage others to review and submit comments, as we do need to show progress.

Please note also that I have provided a proposed update to our timeline - https://www.ieee802.org/3/cw/public/22_03/dambrosia_3cw_01_220314.pdf.  I would appreciate any feedback on the proposed update be sent to the reflector, prior to the meeting.

Regards,

John DAmbrosia

Chair, IEEE P802.3cw Task Force