Re: [EFM] Network timing, ATM, ADSL/VDSL and EFM

I agree as long as I can make a few assumptions...

1) the links aren't heavily loaded, and
2) there aren't a large number of hops (ie Internet scale # of hops)

Once the links start getting loaded, your performance becomes less
predictive, packets get dropped, wait longer, etc., and QoS structures
(queueing, policing, shaping, etc) become important.

As you get into larger networks, there are more merge/congestion points,
and you require some way to control the merged traffic streams else the
jitter can grow unacceptable even at lower congestion levels.

But big fat pipes certainly solve a lot of problems...

- Matt