Re: [EFM] [EFM-OAM] OAM Transport Proposal

Sergiu,

The simplest way to think about the OAM Baseline proposal is that frames
are used to transport large amounts of data (many bytes) associated with
statistics, trace, identifiers, etc. Such transport is non-critical and
does not require large bandwidth which penalizes user bandwidth. The
preamble, or an 8-byte message during IPG which has the same format as
an OAM preamble, is used to transport several bits of critical
information such as faults and alarms. The preamble mechanism is
proposed because is relatively PHY independent, yet very intimate with
the PHY. From my perspective, it's one effective solution employing two
mechanisms.

Note that the preamble mechanism provides an elegant solution for
critical link management of non MAC based optical termination units.

Best Regards,
Rich