[EFM] forwarded from Jonathan Thatcher

The filters strike again!

Howard

-------- Original Message --------

 From: "Jonathan Thatcher"

Frank,

I cannot understand your position here.

Perhaps it is I that is not being clear. Let me try again.

1. Are there any, existing EFM P2MP parts that comply with the standard? =
No. There cannot be. There is no standard.

2. Can there be a question about interoperability with EFM P2MP parts? =
No. Again, there are no standard-based parts to interoperate with.

3. Is there a requirement that EFM P2MP interoperate with EFM P2P or any =
other 802.3 port? No. That is not in the objectives.

4. Therefore, what exactly does FEC have to show in order to demonstrate =
that it does not break the 802.3 architecture? It has to show that the =
new protocol can interoperate with standard compliant 802.3z hardware.

5. Has it done so? Yes. It has shown that it can interoperate with =
standard compliant versions of 802.3z.

6. Has it worked with all implementations of 802.3z? No, it does not =
work with parts that are not standard compliant.

7. Could it be modified to work with both compliant, and non-compliant =
implementations? TBD. Being looked at.

8. If it can't be modified to work with both compliant and non-compliant =
implementations, does this affect its applicability for EFM P2MP? No. =
Since there are no implementations of EFM P2MP that are compliant to the =
EFM standard (since said standard doesn't exist), there can be no =
implementations that are non-compliant. Someone wishing to build an EFM =
implementation will simply have to avoid doing those things that make it =
non-compliant. This is advisable and good.

Now, what is the change in position? What is the change in C36 that is =
required? And, even if a C36 change was required (the clause is open for =
changes required by OAM anyway), why would that be outside the scope and =
authority of EFM to do so for P2MP?

I believe that Pat's comments were related to the use of FEC with =
existing P2P solutions. I know of no one that is pushing for FEC for =
P2P. So, this point (while valid at the time) is moot.

Therefore, what is the problem you are describing? Where is the bait and =
switch?

jonathan

|=20
|=20
| Jonathan,
|=20
| What you say is a major shift from the Frame-FEC position. =20
| That was not what was adddvertised by the proponents of frame-FEC.
|=20
| Besides, who says that clause 36 stuff is going to be=20
| different for P2MP?=20
| Layering, sir.  Layering.  Clause 36 was going to stay the=20
| same, according=20
| to frame-FEC folks.  This also was not adddvertised.  This is a bait and
| switch.
|=20
| The issue that UNH has turned up is exactly the thing that Pat Thaler=20
| had warned about - intentional errors may not be handled correctly by=20
| every implementation, simply because errors are not=20
| effectively tested,=20
| and their treatment is irregular. =20
|=20
| I'm done.
| Frank
|=20
|=20
|=20
|=20
|=20
|=20
| There are no old P2MP parts. It is not possible to have=20
| interoperability
| with existing parts. If it is not possible to have=20
| interoperability with
| existing P2MP parts, it is not possible to fail to operate=20
| with existing
| P2MP parts. There is no requirement for FEC based P2MP parts=20
| to interoperate
| with P2P parts.=20
|=20
| Therefore, 25% failure is not a failure at all. It clearly=20
| demonstrates that
| it is possible to create a MAC that can interoperate with both FEC and
| non-FEC hardware.
|=20
| Besides, according to plan, Eric intends to look for a bit=20
| sequence that
| will allow for all existing MACs to work. To me, this is overkill.
|=20
| jonathan
|=20
|=20