[802.3_DIALOG] Hugh Barrass

Hugh was a friend and will be greatly missed.  I got to know Hugh outside of the meeting room because Jeff Maki and I would find a likely looking pub after dinner and frequently would find Hugh inside - reading a good book and drinking something tasty.   We’d join him and have a good evening shooting the shit and arguing about whatever was happening in 802.3.  This happened often enough that we started planning the outings ahead of time and the rest is a wonderful series of good bars, good beer, and good discussions in locations all over the world.  And- yeah, a few standards happened as well- their quality much higher and the process more enjoyable due to his involvement.

Hugh talked a lot about his family- and I want to write more about how much he loved them, how much fun they had together, and the fact they were good friends, but I can’t put anything coherent down right now.  I consider myself lucky to have had the chance to visit Lyon with he and his daughter and to have had a chance to share a meal with he and his wife.  Seeing in person how happy he was with his family is one of the ways I will remember him.

--
DaveO