[802.3_DIALOG] IEEE SCC18 Ad Hoc

Dear Colleagues,

As I announced in my email of 25th February 2017 <http://www.ieee802.org/3/email_dialog/msg00640.html>, and reported at the recent IEEE 802.3 plenary meeting, I have chartered an IEEE 802.3 SCC18 ad hoc under the IEEE 802.3 Working Group. As a reminder IEEE SCC18 establishes the IEEE position for the IEEE representatives to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) National Electrical Code (NEC) Code Making Panels (CMPs).

The IEEE 802.3 SCC18 Ad Hoc web site has now been set up <http://www.ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/SCC_18/index.html> as well as an email reflector and associated email archive. If you would like to subscribe to the IEEE 802.3 SCC18 Ad Hoc email reflector to receive future information about this ad hoc such as teleconference announcements please visit <http://www.ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/SCC_18/reflector.html>. The next teleconference will take place on Wednesday 12th April 2017 from 10:00 to 11:00 PDT.

The announced scope of the IEEE 802.3 SCC18 ad hoc is to build consensus on a draft public input proposals for consideration at the May 2017 IEEE 802.3 interim meeting to meet the IEEE SCC18 60 day deadline for public input proposals from IEEE technical committees on the NEC 2020 code cycle as well as considering any other IEEE SCC18 related items of interest, such as proposed Tentative Interim Amendments (TIA).

As you may recall IEEE 802.3 submitted a request for a Category D liaison with IEC TC64/PT716 DC power distribution over Information Technology Cable Infrastructure back in September 2016 <http://www.ieee802.org/3/minutes/sep16/outgoing/IEEE_802d3_to_TC64_PT716.pdf>. I have now been informed that this request was approved by the IEC Standardization Management Board and I'm currently working on gaining access to their draft for our review.

As stated on the IEC web site <http://www.iec.ch/standardsdev/how/partners/cat_d.htm> 'Category D liaison organizations have the right to participate as full members in a working group (see 1.12.1) or project team (see 1.13). Category D liaison experts act as the official representative of the organization by which they are appointed.'. The request nominated me as the liaison expert.

Based on this I am announcing that the scope of the IEEE 802.3 SCC18 ad hoc is being extended to also include building consensus on draft input to IEC TC64/PT716, and proposed direction of the IEEE 802.3 Category D liaison expert, for consideration at the May 2017 IEEE 802.3 interim meeting, in preparation for the next IEC TC64/PT716 meeting which I believe is to occur on 1st June 2017.

Best regards,
  David