[802.3_DIALOG] IEEE 802.3 Isolation Ad Hoc and IEEE 802.3 SCC18 Ad Hoc
- To: STDS-802-3-DIALOG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: [802.3_DIALOG] IEEE 802.3 Isolation Ad Hoc and IEEE 802.3 SCC18 Ad Hoc
- From: "Law, David" <dlaw@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2017 16:59:18 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of dlaw@xxxxxxx designates 22.214.171.124 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=dlaw@xxxxxxx
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=mime-version:content-transfer-encoding:spamdiagnosticmetadata :spamdiagnosticoutput:content-language:accept-language:message-id :date:thread-index:thread-topic:subject:cc:to:from :arc-authentication-results; bh=jj+bxCijBahGbZHOP2nJzmptPNgGOlty2MH1uZsvgLw=; b=SGZM2PobAV79B6UkPuxy7Fa2APONVo6iBaGrzuixQkWAahIRsCeCPrjB2SPH4W3Nz+ nKorTmNjL0irapnAAYWd5siZVlrF5dr8B0lu6ZbHceHvLWBDmh0sGB3eU5bE9t1rObRO TDueVz0Vd+32/IozkK2g5YwBJXxk79LVokxEZyZxQ9OaREhuU2SRNu+hFps3zKfmRdQP 1UO+JeXDVItJbAqumL/YRHCmJHarCsEu4zkxOFey5s08guVvpWMjAUB/Yr48ZWxy5vGW ud02aVALFoNOq4Sf3xLSrFthPHlM5+sw49SaPwck9ObJDoupj5ZkhPegAi/MR7bd8bWp +crQ==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1497027597; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=iwG05UGLAz/qbrZlcs5ijTzvtk/9Qw2pBQSngjCZvholBAWQiT7UjlqKsQgZY8g/N4 3lVWTlRkD3HNVurxkB7prTMHy8yGrTxO05WbOyFHxGmJOi3sbykDS4sXnRA1haFKo5KO CMK3MX+ar27d2XLqXssnC/kFp68OK6rf9KUMSmeovNkkCX9zeEGG1DJLdWUwJoyn1hwy NfbR6x4HH8CWCaqZnyVeW1MQoT6OWpub5UcvDez3IjHttA9Dfywi6netv4YDLE6kb8DF QwwCOpnPA9IkNDAX/hz66EJKWVSYvFyMV0mOkBpb8dxylVpn15klzyF06+O4Fh5VUYKM 2KsA==
- Delivered-to: mhonarc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- List-help: <https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?LIST=STDS-802-3-DIALOG>, <mailto:LISTSERV@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG?body=INFO%20STDS-802-3-DIALOG>
- List-owner: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-subscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-subscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- List-unsubscribe: <mailto:STDS-802-3-DIALOG-unsubscribe-request@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
- Reply-to: "Law, David" <dlaw@xxxxxxx>
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
- Thread-index: AdLhQa8MqYxdFG2pRhmb67V6X35igg==
- Thread-topic: IEEE 802.3 Isolation Ad Hoc and IEEE 802.3 SCC18 Ad Hoc
At the May 2017 IEEE 802.3 Interim meeting I announced the chartering of an IEEE 802.3 Isolation Ad Hoc and the re-chartering of the IEEE 802.3 SCC18 Ad Hoc, further information is provided below.
IEEE 802.3 Isolation Ad Hoc
There are subclauses titled 'Electrical isolation' throughout IEEE Std 802.3 requiring isolation meet one of three electrical strength tests with references to IEC 60950-1 'Information technology equipment - Safety - Part 1: General requirements'. However, IEC 62368-1 'Audio/video, information and communication technology equipment - Part 1: Safety requirements' will soon replace IEC 60950-1, as well as IEC 60065 'Audio, video and similar electronic apparatus - Safety requirements'. IEC 62368-1 is not just a merge of these two standards, it is a new standard that has been developed using Hazard-Based Safety Engineering (HBSE), and is more performance oriented.
Based on the above I chartered an IEEE 802.3 Isolation Ad Hoc under the IEEE 802.3 Working Group to examine the current isolation text in IEEE Std 802.3 and, if required, build consensus on proposed updates, either through the maintenance request process or amendment project.
I appointed Jon Lewis to Chair this Ad Hoc, he will be announcing details of the first call shortly.
IEEE 802.3 SCC18 Ad Hoc
Based on the liaison letter approved at the May 2017 interim meeting, the ad hoc has complete its task related to NFPA public input within its charter. The two reaming tasks are: (a) considering any IEEE SCC18 items of interest related to the National Electrical Code cycle, such as proposed Tentative Interim Amendments (TIA); and (b) build consensus on draft input to IEC TC64/PT716, and proposed direction of the IEEE 802.3 Category D liaison expert.
Chad Jones continues to serve as the Chair of this Ad Hoc, please visit <http://www.ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/SCC_18/index.html> for further information.