From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 10:29 AM
To: STDS-802-3-EPOC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EPOC] Channel Model meeting minutes

Duane,

Sorry for beating on you again about this, but are you sure that the list of attendees is complete? When I rejoined the call after it dropped, I was informed there were 26 people on the call. I do not count 26 people in the list.

It is not clear to me why people join the calls and have problems disclosing their affiliation. Is this a big secret or something? Even if someone is joining the call just to follow-up on what's going on, the rules are the same for everybody - let the Chair know who you are and who you are affiliated with.

As for the minutes, you are missing the important (I think) discussion on the whole purpose of the ad-hoc at large. I believe (as indicated on the call) that tables are nice to have, but they do not provide the link model tool we are used to 802.3. I recall that many of the problems related with PHY design in EPON were solved much easier because people had at their disposal a simple tool in Excel, where they could plug in the numbers and see whether their assumptions would work with a very good level of confidence. It did not only simplify the discussions (everybody was using the same model) but also facilitated proposals, where people would bring whole tables of parameters for Tx and Rx devices derived from the approved model. I fear that if the link model is limited to a few non-interactive tables in Word or even Excel, with no facilities provided to modify them and see results of such changes, the task of this ad-hoc will be largely missed. I would urge the group to consider building a simple (and potentially approximated, due to limited computational capabilities of Excel) tool allowing people to experiment with the link definitions, observing impact of different configuration on link feasibility, BER levels, SNR etc.

If needed, I can provide the necessary Visual Basic expertise to write the required macros and front-end.

Note that this does not mean that we should forget about using Matlab(-like) tools for precise simulations. However, I believe it is possible to generalize them and create approximate models in Excel as well, for the general consumption by the task force.

I am also concerned about the potentially proprietary nature of Matlab models, as mentioned on the call. To me that means that results coming from group A may be potentially incompatible with results coming from group B. We need to be comparing apples to apples when taking decisions. For that purpose, I would urge people to consider sharing the Matlab model (if used) so that it can be scrutinized by the Task Force and potentially approved as an official link model tool.

Regards

Marek